Wednesday 13 June 2007

PhotoReading - Day 15- Japan by Mikiso Hane


Day : Day 15




Time : 2230/1500




Location : Kitchen/Train




Trigger Words : 15 - I hardly saw any trigger words from the text itself Most came from the index.



Title : Japan : A Short History - Mikiso Hane


Purpose : I'm off to Japan later in the year, so along with learning some of the language, I thought I'd better read more than just a guide book or two.. I read about the Geisha recently. This was a most fascinating book. I'll hopefully be stopping off in Kyoto. I'm wanting now to read more about the history of Japan, if nothing else to understand the history of their politeness. I thought I was polite and fairly well behavioured and mannered. I'm nothing compared to my Japanese friends. Yet like all cultures, we have things that irritate them and vice versa. The biggest thing that worries me about going other than the language is making a huge social faux par. Although my friends say not to worry. In addition how will this book add to what I already have read about Japan?




Prepare and Preview: As I began to prepare I became very excited and it was actually quite difficult to relax. The is a book that I've hired from my local library. It is actually rather tatty. The spine is broken, not all pages seem to be within the spine.


Thoughts on Process : PhotoReading the book was actually easier than I expected. If I have time I normally PhotoRead the book back to front and then front to back and in at least one direction I'll have the book upside down. I gave up going back to front as the state of the book and spine prohibited easy page turning.


Time Spent activating and how : I activated the book on a train. This for me was really interesting because originally I had wanted to super read and dip the entire book. Yet, when it came down to it. I wasn't actually that bothered. Therefore I changed my purpose to something that actually I might want to get from the book. This was a much better idea. I was interested in what I was reading and not just reading for the sake of reading.


Happy Travels


A




No comments: