Monday 14 May 2007

Only Joking

How often do you jokingly say something? Somebody once told me there is a lot of truth in joking. I’ll tell you what, there sure is.


From my own experience, I was told not to do certain things until I reached a certain point in my life. Always jokingly, yet if you tell a child something enough, even jokingly, the child takes it on board. I tell you, the time I reached that point where I could do something. A weight was lifted of my shoulders. I felt bloody marvelous.


I’ve joked about things, normally to protect myself from fear. Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of rejection. Now I’m beginning to wonder what would happen if I had a fear of fear? Therefore, I just didn’t do it anymore.


I was recently watching a hypnotist who had spent time waxing lyrically about how she thinks the best of her clients, that they are all great etc. Then proceeded to ask for a volunteer. The only volunteer was a man who, on the surface, struggled to go into a trance. You could notice that the hypnotist was desperately wanting another volunteer. Not a single other person did.


Then what did she say, This will be difficult, laugh, laugh…Hello, was I the only person to notice the suggestion? Lo and behold she had great difficultly putting the person into a level of trance that she wanted.


The irony being a moment later another person hypnotized the volunteer and he went into one of the deepest trances we’ve every seen him go into, up to this point.


Therefore be aware of your jokes. What do you really mean?


Happy Travels

A

No comments: