Saturday 6 June 2009

Off-Topic - How To Colour/Color Code All Day Events in Outlook 2007

All,

I have mulitple emails clients and calendars. I recently upgraded my version of MS Office to MS Office 2007. I gave up using Outlook as an email client a long time ago. Yes, I have web based email clients, yet I still perfer using a destop client.

I use web based Gmail because of its excellent calendar. I use many applications that publish details via ical, i.e. these items appear on your calendar. In most of the offices I deal with, I spend time on Lotus Notes.

One simple preference I like in Notes is the ability to colour code All Day Events. It is a simple tick box.

I've just fired up my new version of Outlook, not so far for the email, yet I wanted to be able to have a desktop calendar to hand.

Outlook has easily enough allowed me to add all my web based calendars. Yet, I like my All Day Events to stand out when looking at my calender

Outlook seemed to make this very traumatic. So, I thought I'd post a solution in case anybody else wants to do a similar thing Yes, you can easily assign categories to calender entries. Yet, it seems to be per calendar entries at the time of creation.

All I wanted was: if calendar entry is an All Day Event - colour Red.

How To Do It?

Open up Outlook and navigate to your calendar.

Then select the Edit Menu>Automatic Formatting















Now Click the Add button


















Select a Name for the Rule - All Day Event
Select a colour/color - Red

Then select the Condition button


Select the Advanced Tab















The Filter button>Frequently Used Fields>All Day Event

Change the Value Field to Yes






Then select the Add To List Button>OK>OK

Then go back to your calendar. Now your All Day Events are in Red.



Even better, this appears to also colour code the web calendar All Day Events too.

Happy Travels

A

No comments: