Friday 24 October 2008

SMART Goals - Part 1

All,

I'm from the school of thought that writes out your goals in the S.M.A.R.T format

I've been thinking over this recently and wondering why some of my goals happen and others don't. I thought I'd share my thoughts and (re)discoveries about the process. I hope you all agree that to accomplish any goal you must first write it down.

S stands for Simple and Specific.

I've learnt it must be very, very specific. What I think as very, very specific, may not always be very, very specific. All goals are achieved first in your mind. Then they appear in you reality. Your mind or more specifically your unconscious mind is about the age of a 5-7 year old child.

When thinking of your goal. If you can or have a child give them your goal and then ask them to think what does it mean to them. Is what they tell and describe to you the same as what you hold in your mind? I'm pretty certain that it will not be.

For example.

Goal : I want a new or like new car.
err...which car?

Goal : I want a new BMW
err...which make of BMW?

Goal I want a new BMW 1 Series Convertible.
err..what colour (inside and outside etc)

Do you get where I'm going?

I think you should write down your goal as specifically as you can. Then read over them at least once a day. If you want like carry around a pockmod 'goal card', with a reminder a reminder phrase I now have a BMW 1 Series Convertible. N.B it is written in the present tense!

Yet your mind knows that it will be silver with black leather interior, Sony Soundsystem, 20" wheels etc. The more detailed you are in your description of your goal, the more direction you and your unconscious mind has and actually finding and achieving your goal becomes so much easier. Remember, you goal isn't set in stone. You can always change, alter or even drop it if you want.

Finally find a picture that represents as closely as possible that goal and put it somewhere i.e on a vision board. Time to take a trip to the car dealership and get a photograph taken with you in the car!

Happy Travels

A

No comments: