Monday 13 August 2007

4HWW - Internet Down


Oh, how funny is this.


The last 4, and counting days. My current work office hasn't had any Internet connection. This for me has pointed out many things of office work. If the Internet is down, nothing gets down. People just stop. They forget about the pen, paper and telephone.Companies hemorrhage money as SLAs keel over. This to me screams you need to spread the risk.


This is where remote working, hosting, doing things less often has its advantages, surely. Nobody is use to you 'working' anyway and not expecting an immediate response. Disaster Recovery, connectivity becomes somebody else's issue. All your workers and you are on different Internet pipes in different time zones, therefore the company and work doesn't grind to a halt. After all the whole objective of the 4HWW is to remove you from the work equation and yet still generate plenty of income, no?




Was I Being Productive?


Me, I started mind mapping blog entries, did the cardinal sin of organising my email contact lists. Yes, I could outsource it..I did some exercises from Tim's book, took a backup of our firewall. I joked to the no. two boss that I'm only doing this so that I can work from the garden at home. The funny thing is he chimed in the first time, no Ibiza, I then said France. I thought I'd leave in Europe before I mention the US and Japan and for months at a time...maybe I should have continued? One of our senior 'consultants' piped in..NO CHANCE. Oh how I look forward to proving him wrong. Then again, he is the type that would give a hundred reasons why something would fail. He is not the person to have at the beginning of a project. He is however a critic to have once you have formulated a plan of action as he'll point oversights and holes. Maybe he should receive the first postcard?


I've implemented a different remote working solution to our current system. This is me being productive in my current environemt. In addition my firm is quite small. Therefore I am getting lots of exposure to using different software and companies that are for smaller businesses. After all being a remote boss, I may have many people working for me, yet not actually physically all in the same location or using the same equipment other than maybe email to communicate or physically belonging to my company.


The big boss, who seems to spend most of his time overseas has jumped on board and is using my solution. I've given information to the no.2 about incorporating Internet telephoning to our current antiquated system. Although it was not done in the I propose fashion as recommended by Tim.. That will come next after we have the debrief of the long Internet outage.


As a side note, Time recommended Gold Lantern Wifinder . You look pretty stupid carrying a laptop, knowing there is a hotspot somewhere, yet your laptop can't find it. After adding international shipping I opted for this item instead by Kensington. The UK price was pretty good.I was going to wait until I was off travelling again. The Internet outage has just hastened that decision. There were many a comment from my colleagues, what is the point..I didn't have the heart to tell them...Brazil.


Happy Travels.


A




Technorati :

No comments: