Thursday 19 February 2009

Review - James Allen - As A Man Thinketh



I've previously heard a shockingly bad audio version of this, yet again recently it was recommened to me, so I thought I'd read the book and see what was what.

This is regarded by many as a classic in the field of self-development. For nearly the whole book, I was trying to figure out why.

I think it is because it was published in 1902. It was written by an Englishman. It is very short. There are no exercises to follow. Nothing "how-to" about it. It was most likely the first book of its kind. Or at least it gave hope to those in the working class. Although to a modern audience it isn't anything new. Each chapter is basically summed up as follows

AS YOU THINK, SO YOU ARE OR WILL BECOME

I guess back in 1902, this idea and way of thinking was quiet revolutionary. In some parts of the world today it would be too. There were some religious overtones, yet I'd expect that from something written in 1902.

Thankfully in the chapter titled Visions and Ideals. I totally got it. Thanks to one sentance. This one sentance would have made the book a classic

YOUR VISION IS THE PROMISE OF WHAT YOU SHALL ONE DAY BE

Back in the day of real working class, child labour and abject poverty. This must have been a line that many people held onto for dear life. All previous chapters relate to this one line.

Even in 2009. This line is brilliant. So many people will want to trample on your vision or ideas of greatness, possibility and potential. Yet, if you hold onto your vision, notice what will happen.

Happy Travels

A

No comments: