Friday 9 May 2008

Filthy Rich - Reframe


I've noticed recently I've alot of negative self talk going on inside my head. This I'm correcting when I catch myself.


I've just heard a story where somebody described another person as filthy rich. For some reason this I caught and heard. It got me thinking. I don't want to hold this belief or attitude. How else can I hold it or thinking about it. Time to reframe it.


Reframing is taking a word and its meaning or context and changing either or both.


Initially I thought filthy rich...????


Then I thought actually all rich, filthy or otherwise are very clean. Those that I know drive nice clean cars, have nice clean clothes. Nothing filthy about it! So that was a good start.


Then I did what I often do..go look for the origin of a word. Words fascinate me. Meanings often get lost. Words, statements and beliefs all become 'old wives tales'. So much of which is true yet lost at the same time.


A quick look at the etymology of the word filth revealed. The following, there are many definitions.


One of which was as follows:


lucre


c.1380, from L. lucrum "gain, profit," from PIE base *lu-/*leu- (cf. Gk. apo-lanein "to enjoy," Goth. launs, Ger. lohn "wages, reward," and possibly Skt. lotam, lotram "booty"). Filthy lucre (Tit. i:11) is Tyndale's rendering of Gk. aischron kerdos.


From this I therefore took the following to be filthy rich is actually to to gain or to profit. Today when we profit or gain, it is often in the form of money, thus it is a wage or reward for work we have done, which surely is to be enjoyed!


So, being filthy rich is just enjoying the fruits of what you have done. Thus the question is do you hate or dislike rich people?


Is it because you actually aren't getting the rewards and thus the enjoyment from what you are doing.


So, here is to being filthy rich because it is my gain and reward for the work I've done. Now I'm off to enjoy myself.


Happy Travels.


A




Technorati : , ,

No comments: