Friday 29 June 2007

PhotoReading Days 17 and 18 - Two of Everything

For some reason that escapes me right now the last few posts are missing. It is nobody's fault except my own. Everything happens for a positive reason.

So a quick recap over the last few days.

Day 17 I PhotoRead the following : The Virgin Wine Guide by Chris Orr and Day 18 I read Using LDAP for Directory Integration by IBM.

Whilst the Virgin Wine book was good as I love my food and wine.I'm not going to discuss about that one.Not much out of the ordinary except I drank another few glasses of wine.

The one I'll spend a little time on is the LDAP experience.

This happened in my current office. I was under a little pressure as LDAP isn't something I spend a great deal of time with. It was for work, not so much pleasure. The book was in a PDF format. Several 100 pages. I had to answer a question from a client and prepare documentation for implementing a solution.

I grabbed the PDF, prepared myself, which much to my relieve is relatively easy to do in my current office. I then already knew my purpose, since the client had posed a question that I needed to answer. I configured by Adobe Reader for full screen and for the software to turn the pages at a page a second. I was using the PhotoFocus technique by where you imagine an X on the page, yet, this was on my computer screen. The pages flipped by. I went through the book several times. The first time I was worried that people would ask me what I was doing. Thankfully they didn't. I was able to relax. Most people don't seem to care as long as you get your work done! I then went away from the PDF for a good half an hour. I even went outside for a walk. I had errands to run. This meant I was totally away from my reading material. I could allow my whole mind to process what had just happened.

I then returned to the book, looked at the table of contents and went straight to one chapter. In there was everything I needed to answer the question and prepare my documentation. I also implemented the solution into my test environment so that I could grab screen shots to put into my documentation.

Not bad for a few hours work. The client seemed pretty pleased too. This is great as I seem to have amassed rather a large collection of PDF documents.

Happy Travels


A

No comments: